Had to order a de-burring bit extension for my drill to clean the rivet holes on the inside. It finally arrived this afternoon and I was able to finish deburring the VS components! I cleaned and primed most of the parts before I had to leave for work and will get them finished tomorrow when I get home in the morning.

I am using a self etching primer spray paint. It goes on pretty well so far. Just make sure that you have a well ventilated area as the fumes get pretty strong even with the garage door wide open. I don't plan on priming all parts and pieces, but will prime the ribs of each of the major components. I don't plan on priming anything within the tailcone or fuse. I am only priming the ribs as those will be very difficult to completely inspect later. I feel that the anodized aluminum is more than enough for protection and I am just going a little beyond for these few parts. I don't want to add unnecessary weight.


I know that there is a major debate, to which all newly anointed builders are introduced to from the get go, in the debate over "to prime, or not to price". I have landed on the side of "not to prime" for the most part. Some would say that you should prime so that it doesn't create an issue when you go to sell it, but I am not building this for the next person, I am building this for me and my children! If and when I do decide to sell this plane, I wont be concerned about a buyer not making the purchase because it wasn't bathed in primer!


But enough about that! From here, I am planning on dimpling the skin for the VS and then moving on to final assembly. I have had a little bit of trouble with my clekos not sliding in to the rivet holes as smoothly and effortlessly as I would like. I will see how that looks as I start to put rivets to metal. If they start to get too difficult to put in place, then I will redrill some of the holes as needed.

I will get some pictures uploaded as soon as I am able! So far, I am enjoying this process very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Recent Topic of Discussion

 

Most viewed posts